It can be very distressing if you have been accused of bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, a hate crime or sexual assault. 

The University will not make assumptions on the relative merits of a complaint. No party will be considered ‘at fault’ until a complaint has been investigated. All those involved in a complaint will be treated fairly and offered advice and support. Find out more on the University Procedure


It might be useful to think about some of the behaviours that describe:  


  • Report and Support. Students and staff can anonymously report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. 
  • Making a complaint. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow. 

Get Support  

For students and staff  

  • Dignity Advisors An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.
  • Equality and Diversity Office The team provides advice, support and guidance on equality, diversity and inclusion related issues to students, academic advisors and other staff in student supporting roles. 
For students

  • Student Advice and Wellbeing If you are a student you can talk to your academic advisor or an advisor in the support centre in room SL48 on the lower ground floor of the Paul Webley Wing.  
  • Counselling Service The University’s team of professional counsellors, psychotherapists and mental health advisors offer confidential support. This service is provided by Student Advice and Wellbeing. 
  • SOAS SU Student Advice Centre Advisors provide an academic and welfare service that is confidential, free and independent of the University. They aim to give practical advice and advocacy to all SOAS Students. 
  • Mitigating Circumstances If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances. Your academic advisor in your school will be able to provide more information.  

For staff

  • Human Resources. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR business partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you. 
  • Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison, Unite and UCU. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened