If you think you or someone you know is being sexually assaulted there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff. 

 For students and staff  

  • Independent Domestic & Sexual Violence Advisors (IDSVAs)Camden Safety Net have IDSVAs who are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual violence to ensure they receive the best possible care and understanding. Contact them and ask to speak to an advisor in confidence. ISVAs are there to provide information to ensure an individual can make a decision that is right for them.

 For students

  • Rape Crisis Emotional Support. A representative from Rape Crisis South London is available fortnightly offering free, confidential support for self-identifying women and non-binary people who have survived any kind of sexual violence, at any point in their lives.
  • Survivors UK are available at SOAS once a month and they hold free appointments with an ISVA for self-defining men and non-binary people. 
  • Booking an appointment is facilitated by Student Advice and Wellbeing  svsw@soas.ac.uk (no details needed). Staff can also use this service if they wish, Student Advice and Wellbeing will not have access to any information other than to facilitate an initial appointment.
  • Student Advice and Wellbeing. This University service offers support and advice on issues affecting your student life, with signposting and referral to more specialist services. Find them in the SL48 on the lower ground floor of the Paul Webley Wing.
  • SOAS SU Student Advice Centre. They provide an academic and welfare service that is confidential, free and independent of the University. They aim to give practical advice and advocacy to all SOAS Students
  • Mitigating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances. Your academic advisor will be able to provide more information.

 For staff

  • Human Resources.If you are a member of staff your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.
  • Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison, Unite and UCU.

 Other sources of support

  • Rape Crisis is a confidential support service run by women for women and girls who have been raped or sexually abused.
  • ManKind provides specialist advice and counselling for men affected by sexual violence
  • The Havens’ Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs) provide comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare service to men, women and children living in London who have experienced rape or sexual assault in the past 12 months.
  • Galop is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and queer people affected by sexual violence.
  • Survivors UK offers a range of services for men who have experienced sexual violence at any point in their lives.
  • The National Stalking Helpline can give you information and advice on support and options available to you.
  • Women’s Aid provides a range of services for people experiencing domestic violence including helpline, IDVA, outreach, and refuge.
  • MALE is an advice line for male victims of domestic abuse.
  • Camden Safety Net offers advice and support, risk assess, devise action plans to enhance safety and provide counselling to victims.
  • Revenge Porn Helpline provide free, non-judgemental and confidential advice to all adults who have been victim of intimate image abuse.
  • Victim Support offers free and confidential support to help you deal with your experience, whether or not you report the crime. They also support witnesses of crime.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened