If you think you or someone you know has experienced a hate crime, there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.

For students and staff 

  • Dignity Advisors. An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.
  • Equality and Diversity Office.  The team provides advice, support and guidance on equality, diversity and inclusion related issues to students, academic advisors and other staff in student-supporting roles.

For Students

  • Your School. If you are a student you can talk to your academic adviser.
  • Student Advice and Wellbeing.  This University service offers support and advice on issues affecting your student life, with signposting and referral to more specialist services. Find them in room SL48 on the lower ground floor of the Paul Webley Wing.
  • SOAS SU Student Advice Centre.  Advisors provide an academic and welfare service that is confidential, free and independent of the University. They aim to give practical advice and advocacy to all SOAS Students.
  • Mitigating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances.  An advisor in your school will be able to provide more information.  

For staff

  • Human Resources.  If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.
  • Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison, Unite and UCU.

Other sources of support

  • Citizens Advice provides some useful information on the different types of harassment and hate crime people may experience including disability hate crime, racist and religious hate crime, sexual harassment, and sexual orientation and transgender identity hate crime.
  • True Vision  offers guidance on reporting hate crime and hate incidents. If you do not wish to talk to anyone in person about the incident or wish to remain anonymous, there is an online form for reporting hate crime; you can report non-crime hate incidents to the police to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness.
  • Camden LGBT Forum  If you are a victim of homophobic or transphobic hate crime then get in touch with them to talk, report and get support.
  • Tell MAMA  supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents.
  • Community Security Trust (CS)  helps those who are victims of anti-Semitic hatred, harassment or bias.
  • Victim Support.  When you report a crime to the police, they should automatically ask you if you would like help from an organisation like Victim Support. But anyone affected by crime can contact them directly  – you don’t need to talk to the police to get Victim Support help.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened