If you think you have been sexually assaulted, it may be hard to know what to do or how to feel. What happened was not your fault. What you do next is your choice.  


  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Finding a safe space.  If possible try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are on campus you can call security on call security on extension 555. Alternatively visit the 24 hour security desk in the Brunei Gallery.
  • What is sexual assault?  This section describes the different types of sexual assault that a person can experience.


  • To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.
  • Independent Domestic & Sexual Violence Advisors (IDSVAs)Camden Safety Net have IDSVAs who are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual violence to ensure they receive the best possible care and understanding. Contact them and ask to speak to an advisor in confidence. ISVAs are there to provide information to ensure an individual can make a decision that is right for them.
  • Rape Crisis Emotional Support. A representative from Rape Crisis South London is available fortnightly offering free, confidential support for self-identifying women and non-binary people who have survived any kind of sexual violence, at any point in their lives.
  • Survivors UK are available at SOAS once a month and they hold free appointments with an ISVA for self-defining men and non-binary people. Booking an appointment is facilitated by Student Advice and Wellbeing  svsw@soas.ac.uk (no details needed).


  • Reporting to the police. If you're thinking of reporting to the police, rape crisis have produced a useful list of things to think about.
  • Reporting the incident anonymously.  You can call crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use their online form.
  • Reporting to a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). The Havens are here to help you if you’ve been raped or sexually assaulted in the past 12 months. You can use any of their services without involving the Police.
  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously.
  • Serious Sexual Assault.  If a student or member of staff wishes to make a complaint involving a serious sexual assault they can contact Human Resources directly. Find out more about the different types of sexual assault

 Get Support

 Mental Health and Wellbeing

1 in 4 people is affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people has contemplated suicide or self-harm.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened